Friday, May 23, 2014

Born to do what I'm doing

Hey There,

     I wanted to tell you all that I'm still not dead but working hard trying to get my life in order so that I can start marketing my books. While reading an article on marketing there was a question asked that I had never really asked myself. "Why are you writing this book?" I had to think. Was it because I wanted to make a great deal of money? Yeah sure. Ninety percent of us authors are screaming with so much money we could take care of the national debt. Again "Yeah sure".
     So I asked myself the same question again and came up with the possibility that it was fame and notoriety. Nooottt. The last thing I want is to be on some fame pedestal so that I can take cheap shots from the cheap seats. That's not my bag. I've never really had thick skin. Critique is one thing Criticism is another. There are a lot of Simon Cowel's out there that just love to be rude and ruthless. I don't intend on giving them a chance at my throat.
     I finally came to the answer late that night. It was way to simple and that was why it alluded my superior brain. (cough, sputter) I wanted to give to people what books had done for me. I wanted to entertain and take someone away from all the strain of daily living and let them live somewhere else for just a little while. Somewhere where they new at the end of the day everything was going to work out just fine and that "Right" would always win over "Wrong" and "Good" would always win over "Evil".
     My real world never or hardly ever gets to be in that world unless I'm writing. Then I get to always get the bad guy and the guy always get's the girl or the girl always gets the guy and everyone lives happily ever after.
     When I was growing up, what has stayed with my heart forever, was the Disney movies and musicals that always had the happy ending and they all lived happily ever after. It always made sense to me that life should be like that. That's also the reason why I'm with Grace and we are living happily ever after.
     Back to the reason why I write. Besides entertaining people there is one more reason. I can't do anything else. This is really what I was born to do, it's just a shame I started doing it so late in life. I'm not sure I can live long enough to write everything that I need to write. I keep hoping that the real Power to be will let me have enough time to get it all down on paper. That will be my happy ending.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment