Friday, July 10, 2015

Please pray for me, it's NONFICTION!!!!

Watch out everyone here's a change of pace that I didn't think I'd ever do but here goes. I just got through reading "The Last Gunfight" by Jeff Guinn. It's the real story of the shootout at the O.K. Corral and how it changed the American West. Boy that was a mouthful and there were a mouthful of words in this book. I'm not sure everyone knows but I'm a fiction fan. Die hard fiction fan. The ultimate fiction fan. So you ask; why in the heck did you pick up this book? Well I'll tell you. I'm not sure if this person is a real friend of mine because she made me read this. I felt a little violated especially before I read it. She's in my book club and we've been daring each other to get out of our comfort zones. I was so uncomfortable that I itched every time I picked it up to read. I have the scars to prove it. After the first night of about three pages I knew that if she hadn't been a good friend I would have thrown it at her. Have you ever read nonfiction? It's dry and boring and full of facts and figures and dates. I might as well be back in history class with Brother Bernard and his amigo stick. In fact I would have rather met the amigo stick. I trembled the next night not wanting to go to bed because that meant I had to read NONFICTION. Horrors. I won't go into the gruesome details of night after night going to bed later and later so I wouldn't have to read for so long. Suffice to say, one morning it was four o'clock. My God the pain. Then at almost the end something even more terrible happened. I want you to remember it was almost to the end, right after the most boring description of a gun fight I've ever read. Okay here it is. I needed to finish the book. Can you believe the nightmare. I actually picked it up and didn't itch and I didn't cuss. I still didn't like my friend much but I had to finish the book. What was worse I think I learned something. I won't admit that to her but I think I did. What a waste of time. Will the world ever stop tormenting me. Bob. P.S. You can find my wonderful, beautiful, perfect fiction at http://amazon.com/author/robertconley

No comments:

Post a Comment